First Appointment Checklist
Bring your questions for your doctor to your first visit. We help you get started with a checklist of what to expect and what to prepare. Prepare for your visit by completing the following guidelines:
1. Fill out your paperwork.
- Go through the pages in the front pocket of your Patient & Family Resource Guide.
- Fill out the patient intake questionnaire on pages 1.2 to 1.3 of the guide.
- Fill out the allergy and medication form on pages 1.4 to 1.5 of the guide.
- You may need to complete more paperwork when you check in for your appointment. Our front desk staff will let you know.
2. Gather important information to bring to your appointment.
- Your Patient & Family Resource Guide, with your completed patient intake questionnaire and allergy and medication form, to help you organize important information
- Valid photo identification
- Your health insurance card(s), including Medicare, Medi-Cal (California Medicaid), Covered California, and any others
- Check, credit card, or debit card to pay for your health insurance co-pay (cash not accepted)
3. Prepare for your conversation with your doctor.
- Read through this site for details about:
- Whom you’ll meet at Stanford during your visit
- Our approach to treatment
- What to expect
- Services available to you and your family
- Write down your questions and bring them, so you can ask your doctor during your visit.
- Tell your care team if you would like free interpretation in your preferred language during your visits. You can also work with online interpreters. Learn more about Stanford Interpreter Services
4. Arrange for a family member or friend to come with you.
- Please plan to spend 2 to 4 hours at your first appointment.
- It can be very helpful to have someone with you at your first appointment. Your companion can help you take notes, hold your personal items, and provide support during your visit.
5. Plan to arrive on time for your appointment.
- Write your appointment details in the spaces below.
- Date and time:
- Cancer Center Health Library, South Bay, Third floor lobby: 408-353-0197, 2589 Samaritan Drive
6. Check out and schedule your following appointments.
- After your first appointment, be sure to stop by the front desk to check out before you leave.
- Our staff will help you schedule your next appointments.
For confidential help with your health care questions, contact the Stanford Health Library. Professional medical librarians and trained volunteers can help you access journals, books, e-books, databases, and videos to learn more about medical conditions, treatment options, and related issues.
Published February 2021
Stanford Health Care © 2021